Monday, January 5, 2009

Today is the beginning...


January 5th, 2009.


I am doing this…

    For my family.
    For my wife.
    For my health.

    For myself.

Today, I have started this blog to chronicle a journey that has been too long in the preparation, but now is time for action. Here is the story.....

I am a VERY large man.

Now, I wouldn't say I was what they call "morbidly" obese, but I am carrying more than I need to for me to be healthy. I am tall (6' 4"), and I consider myself strong, but I am FAR from running in a marathon.

Just over a year ago, some of my co-workers started a competition to see who could lose the most weight before the Christmas holiday. In five weeks, I had lost Fifty pounds, and won second place in the contest. I felt better than I had in awhile. I proved to myself there that I could do it if I had my mind set properly.

But here I am, a year later, and all that weight is back with a vengeance. After the contest, the impetus for losing the weight was gone, and I feel back into my old habits. I need to lose it again, to be healthy, to play with my kids, to show the Mrs. how much I love her.

This is my decision.

And here is my plan….

Starting today, January 5th, I am devoting myself to eating healthy, to walking 1-3 miles every day, to talking stairs whenever possible, to improve my quality of life.

I will continue this until May 23rd.

That is our 12th anniversary.

Target weight - < 253 lbs

So, I want to weigh 253 by 05/23

20 weeks

5 lbs a week….. In total…….


ONE. HUNDRED. POUNDS.



Tall order? Maybe. But it is better to aim for the stars and hit the clouds, than to aim for the clouds and hit the treetops. But more than just losing the weight, I am trying to improve my life, to change my eating habits, to throw away the old routines and start something new.

Is this a New Year's Resolution? NO! I detest resolutions as they are pie crust promises…. Easily made, easily broken. This is not a resolution, this is a rededication that just happens to coincide with the start of the New Year.

But all that is me….. I need something from all of you to make this work. I need prayer, I need encouragement, I need people who can help keep me focused. Basically, I need to be held accountable.

Can ya'll help me with this?

Come back often as I will try to give updates every Monday.

Thank you all for reading.

Until then,
scottric

BTW - today I weighed in at 356..... not good :-(

2 comments:

  1. There's no doubt in my mind you can do it...no doubt. You'll not only be healthier and happier, you will set an outstanding example for your children. With God's help you can achieve your goal. Love ya brother! Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you Scott. I know you can do it. It is hard work and something that you have to think about daily but with determination it can be done!

    ReplyDelete